- Tue, 18:04: About damn time. https://t.co/D7oGb4YhWF
- Tue, 18:06: RT @MrDane1982: I got money on Biden!!! https://t.co/ngKbuDyhqS
- Tue, 18:09: "Is the Trump campaign just a traveling road show?" Nailed it on the first try, Rachel. #maddow #uniteblue
- Tue, 18:21: Welp. The Trump family is just rotten all the way down, it seems. #maddow #uniteblue
- Mon, 17:57: I've voted. VOTE!!!! We can't afford to get complacent. #fb https://t.co/NXA9p1gXCw
- Mon, 17:58: I've voted. VOTE!!!! We can't afford to get complacent. https://t.co/NXA9p0ZmKY https://t.co/C1QPxM1xDa
- Mon, 18:00: RT @wingknut9: @redheadedfemme #NastyWomenVoteEarly #ImWithHer
- Mon, 18:12: "Every time he says that, you can picture Reince Priebus hiding under a desk." We can only hope Priebus will never come out. #maddow
- Mon, 19:04: Heh heh heh..... #fb https://t.co/stJhTB2v5R
- Mon, 19:06: Heh heh heh..... https://t.co/stJhTBk6ur https://t.co/JHgVnLhmgh
- Wed, 17:50: RT @ananavarro: Just so I understand...If Trump wins, do rest of us get to call "foul", say it was fraud and refuse to accept it??
- Wed, 17:56: Brian Williams, come on. Wikileaks is a nothingburger. #maddow #uniteblue #debatenight
- Wed, 18:05: Supreme Court right off the bat. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:06: RT @KCMFA: @nhdogmom I have been nervous for her for every debate. I have NO idea how she does it.
- Wed, 18:09: Oh for frak's sake. Trump still believes all those pollsters are lying. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:12: Heh. Hillary drills down into the weeds on the 2nd Amendment. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:15: Yes, Donald, because people bring in guns from OUTSIDE Chicago. For frak's sake. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:17: So judges' personal beliefs override precedent. . Surrree. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:18: RT @ShelbyKnox: Make no mistake: that word salad Trump just vomited was him saying he wants a court that will overturn Roe. #debatenight
- Wed, 18:19: AAH! That is NOT what happens! Women don't have nine-month abortions for shits and giggles. #debatenight
- Mon, 17:23: RT @Toure: Melanie’s “Boys will be boys” excuse for all this lame. Trump’s a man talking about sexual assault. Melanie’s a super-enabler.
- Mon, 17:31: Yay! @HillaryClinton is starting to spend money in my state! [AZ] #inners #uniteblue #fb
- Mon, 17:32: Yay! Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) is starting to spend money in my state! [AZ] #inners #uniteblue
- Mon, 18:28: I am so proud of Mia Parrish, Arizona Republic president, for standing up to threats and bullies. #maddow #uniteblue
- Mon, 18:34: The phase, aside from all the other stupidities in this letter, is "POST-MENOPAUSAL." Kee-ripes. https://t.co/kHzpA0z6iz
- Sun, 18:26: Click here to support Dems help reopen a NC Repub office by David Weinberger https://t.co/KytaKEoe5W
- Sun, 18:27: Dems help reopen a NC Repub office https://t.co/OKmuGzhniE
- Sun, 18:34: RT @dweinberger: NC Repub office fire-bombed. Horrible msg painted on wall. Dems, let's go high and kick in to re-open that office! https:/…
- Sun, 18:37: RT @HeerJeet: BREAKING: Clinton Campaign Carefully Considers Message It Sends To The World Rather Than Have Candidate Make Demented Tweets…
- Sun, 18:39: I gave $10.00 also. We can do this. #uniteblue https://t.co/bJtUrQG5yP
- Sun, 18:44: I donated as well. You did a good thing. Hang in there. https://t.co/UgziUKSDyK
- Sun, 19:00: It was just shut down, at $13K. https://t.co/82yo5cfQNR
- Sat, 20:47: 📷 Proud to cast my vote for Hillary Clinton today. (I would also love for her to take the oath of... https://t.co/zqiZk8nXLu
- Sat, 21:19: Super Famous and Just, Well, Super https://t.co/YAIWMXgGe3
- Sat, 21:19: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. https://t.co/kVDFy5i8YA
- Sun, 16:03: Marked as to-read: Child of a Hidden Sea by A.M. Dellamonica https://t.co/BBHDXXYvKB
- Sun, 17:47: This is the election in a nutshell. https://t.co/mC5uZWNjjF
- Sun, 17:50: Thank you for your reporting on this. You are a true journalist. https://t.co/nmd1DSVopn
5 of 5 stars
When I reviewed the previous Ms. Marvel, Last Days, I noted that the series had regained its usual quality following what I felt was a disappointing third volume, Crushed. This installment completes this return to form, taking its place alongside my favorite so far of the series, Generation Why.
I must admit that I haven't (so far) read any of the other relevant Marvel storylines, so I have no idea what went into Kamala Khan's becoming an Avenger. Not to worry. G. Willow Wilson does an admirable job of compressing these outside developments into three finely-drawn pages, and then we go back to the themes that make Super Famous such an excellent addition to the series.
In this volume, Kamala is torn between her duties as an Avenger and her family and friends. We realize, before she does, that she is stretching herself way too thin, and is trying, as she says, to be "too many things to too many people." Before this is resolved at the end, we are treated to two entertaining stories that drive the point home. In the first, her best friend Bruno (who she told in Last Days she couldn't be with because she had to devote herself to being Ms. Marvel) finds a girlfriend, Michaela "Mike" Miller. (By the way, Mike is an awesome addition to the series, and I hope we see more of her.) There is a bit of complicated arglebargle about Jersey City being taken over by a development company, Hope Yards, which turns out to be a front for the Avengers' old enemy, Hydra. Kamala and Mike work together to defeat Hydra (at least this time) and send it scurrying, but the tension between Kamala's private and superhero lives is driven home.
In the second story, Kamala's brother Aamir meets a young woman named Tyesha and wants to get married. Kamala's attempts to continue in school, help with the planning of her brother's wedding, and bust Jersey City's bad guys lead her to create copies of herself, aka "golems," so she can be in three places at once. This, of course, gets out of hand, and she ends up fighting a giant version of herself, and calling in Captain Marvel and Iron Man to help her out.
(Yes, Tony Stark has a couple of brief cameos here. These lead to the single funniest panel in the entire book, where he folds his arms, looks down at Kamala, and demands an explanation: "Spill it. Whatever it is. Otherwise, you're gonna have to explain the whole thing to Patriot Pants, and you know how he is." One can only imagine Robert Downey Jr. delivering this line.)
After taking in Carol Danvers' advice, Kamala realizes where her priorities lie. The themes of home and family espoused here may be simple, but sometimes the most basic ideas are the most powerful. In any case, Super Famous is delightful, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.This entry was originally posted at http://redheadedfemme.dreamwidth.org/165
- Fri, 17:04: RT @TimODee16: I'll say it again: if we are now a hopelessly divided country, I'll live in the half that has Michelle Obama in it.
- Fri, 17:09: RT @jk_rowling: Afraid we need to know whether the alien has breasts before we can answer. https://t.co/xHE9K5F7xt
- Fri, 17:16: "Dirty on so many levels. There's an epitaph for 2016." Indeed. #inners #uniteblue #fb
- Fri, 17:18: "Dirty on so many levels. There's an epitaph for 2016." Indeed. #inners #uniteblue
- Fri, 17:23: Hell no, Trump isn't an outlier. This needs to be pinned on the Republicans, full stop. #inners #uniteblue
- Fri, 17:24: "Screw you guys, you nominated this monster, and you're going down with this horrible ship." PREACH. #inners #uniteblue
- Fri, 17:35: Reince Priebus deserves some freaking sleepless nights. #inners #uniteblue
- Fri, 18:31: Karen Tumulty is a reporter. Great account of how she verified this woman's story. #maddow #uniteblue
- Fri, 19:09: RT @paulmcl: In 2005, Natasha Stoynoff phoned me, distraught, crying. Said Trump assaulted her. She is telling truth. #natashastoynoff
- Thu, 15:06: This is apparently going viral. I think it's one of the most important speeches given this election season.... https://t.co/b1Crc3ZgZm
- Thu, 17:09: RT @preinsko: #HardBall Gee @HardballChris I wonder why the Clintons don't share! Could it be that the media crucifies them every chance th…
- Thu, 17:17: Ooo, I like when @chrislhayes gets snarky. "He spent a lot of time running beauty pageants." #inners #uniteblue
- Thu, 17:20: Because I knew if I told my mother her brother had touched me inappropriately, she would literally kill him. #WhyWomenDontReport
- Thu, 17:24: Oh my. Our President is tearing Donald Trump's political supporters into little tiny pieces. #inners #uniteblue
- Thu, 17:28: "If your only agenda is based in lies, based on hoaxes, this is the nominee you get." Omigod, I'm going to miss B. Obama. #inners #uniteblue
- Thu, 20:35: 📹 This is hysterical. https://t.co/60EE7OLQUq
- Thu, 20:41: This is hysterical. https://t.co/zVCcVQ1kYJ
- Thu, 21:10: 5 of 5 stars to Ms. Marvel, Vol. 5 by G. Willow Wilson https://t.co/XggZOtUuCK
- Wed, 15:09: So-So: 4.95/10 - This book was okay. The subject matter–the scoring format and history of gymnastics, from... https://t.co/vqYmeFF5VV
- Wed, 15:12: 📷 Hah. This is SO me. https://t.co/YWxMs6YWD8
- Wed, 17:02: Well, here comes the Bill Cosby-like stories about Donald Trump. Drip drip drip. #inners #uniteblue
- Wed, 17:06: Oh dear God. Not AJ Delgado. She is a twit. #inners #uniteblue
- Wed, 17:07: @chrislhayes! Why are you having this woman on your show? She has no credibility whatsoever. #inners #uniteblue
- Wed, 17:10: RT @NoctilucentClou: Ken Starr said if Bill Clinton had raped someone, he would have found it. AJ Delgado is desperate. #inners
- Wed, 17:22: "What if Bill Clinton is in White House?" "What if DONALD TRUMP is in the White House?" One of these things ain't like the other. #inners
- Wed, 17:24: RT @tomtomorrow: No question that the former Dem president's behavior was pretty gross as well, but he's not actually running for president…
- Wed, 17:26: RT @Karoli: Man. This barrage of reports from women is really hard to take. Women were commodities for him. Like apples, or cattle.
- Wed, 17:29: This is fine with me and most women. Also, remember Lori Piestewa died in Iraq and Tammy Duckworth lost her legs. https://t.co/BryTcdge7o
- Tue, 17:05: Trump/Repubs remind me of the old story with the scorpion and the turtle. It ends with, "You knew what I was when you took me on." #inners
- Tue, 17:09: Good. @chrislhayes. Nail this mofo to the wall. #inners #uniteblue
- Tue, 18:08: Heh. Donald Trump is the Arkansas bridge that has blown up and refuses to fall. #maddow #uniteblue
- Wed, 14:17: 3 of 5 stars to The End of the Perfect 10 by Dvora Meyers https://t.co/0gP7A9OCcX
- Wed, 14:45: So-So: 4.95 https://t.co/hGSwhqkTLn
- Wed, 14:46: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. https://t.co/FtJodqSqgj
3 of 5 stars
This book was okay. The subject matter--the scoring format and history of gymnastics, from the viewpoint of the women who did or did not score a perfect 10--was interesting, and the author seems to have done her research, but she is not the most exciting writer in the world. She pales next to, for instance, Laura Hillenbrand. Also, with all the recent articles coming out about sexual abuse in gymnastics, the fact that she does not delve into this subject seems a glaring omission. Still, this is a fairly engaging book, especially when the author talks about individual competitors, such as Simone Biles.
I wouldn't buy it (and haven't), but you won't waste your time reading it.This entry was originally posted at http://redheadedfemme.dreamwidth.org/165
- Mon, 12:25: Wow. This is a wicked burn from Warren Buffett, responding to Donald Trump's claim about his taxes. #fb https://t.co/xPzpwEPGXn
- Mon, 12:26: Wow. This is a wicked burn from Warren Buffett, responding to Donald Trump's claim about his taxes.... https://t.co/huH0BVte8R
- Mon, 13:59: This is why John Oliver brought home an Emmy. https://t.co/IF6BBj7e9l
- Mon, 14:59: RT @Krista_Kee: Y'all can quit with this "both candidates suck" mess. Never in US history has one candidate been so heinously less qualifie…
- Mon, 15:30: Comment from Pharyngula: Question: Trump says campaign changed him. When did that happen? Whenever he started to smell funny & was crying?
- Mon, 17:02: Heh. "Both Clinton/Trump are holding events, the first after last nights..." pause "debate" #inners #uniteblue
- Mon, 17:33: No, @chrislhayes, he's not "very often" talking nonsense [about policy]. #inners #uniteblue
- Mon, 17:47: Rudy Giuliani is just a "mistaken" jackass. #inners #uniteblue
- Mon, 18:02: RT @theCanadaParty: Trump really hurt our feelings tonight, but we'll just go to the doctor and get them checked for free. #debate
- Mon, 18:10: Rachel doing a wonderful job of pointing out that the RNC is FINE with Donald Trump's misogyny. #maddow #uniteblue
- Sun, 15:47: 4 of 5 stars to Ms. Marvel, Vol. 4 by G. Willow Wilson https://t.co/i4MwhHmmh6
- Sun, 16:22: Not Quite the End, Thankfully https://t.co/nPCNFaAp0L
- Sun, 16:23: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. https://t.co/7c85ONVHxK
- Sun, 16:31: Not Quite the End, Thankfully - This volume of Ms. Marvel is much better than its predecessor, Crushed.... https://t.co/l7NhObGAHQ
- Sun, 17:35: RT @activist360: What we are witnessing w/Trump marching out Bill's accusers is the last desperate throes of a deranged demagogue & sexual…
- Sun, 17:35: Holy shit, Trump is trotting out all of Bill Clinton's accusers. If he's going down, he wants to take the country with him. #debates
- Sun, 17:36: RT @tonyschwartz: You will see the real & only Trump tonight. He won't be contrite. Desperate and cornered by his own words, he will double…
- Sun, 17:53: RT @azmoderate: Wow, this could really hurt Bill Clinton's chances for being re-elected President. I'm voting for Hillary Clinton instead.…
- Sun, 17:54: RT @OccupyWallStNYC: Whatever you think of HRC, Trump holding a pre-debate presser with women with claims against Bill is some stone cold m…
- Sun, 17:55: RT @ananavarro: Staunch Trump backers wanted him to go there. Tonight he did. Hit below the belt. Might've energized them. But has disguste…
4 of 5 stars
This volume of Ms. Marvel is much better than its predecessor, Crushed. That disappointed me, but in this volume we're back to the series' usual standard of excellence.
I haven't read the overall Marvel storyline, so I don't have any idea what's going on with the "incursion zone" appearing over Manhattan. To my mind, it doesn't really matter, as this volume is full of excellent character moments. Kamala meets up with her idol, Carol Danvers; she reveals who she is to her mother; she talks things out with her best friend, Bruno, and tells him that for now she must concentrate on being Ms. Marvel; she reconnects with a couple of friends; and in the most interesting vignette, we get to see a little bit of Kamala's brother Aamir, who just wants to "go to the mosque, volunteer, and read books."
The only complaint I have about this is that this volume only collects three of the comics, and the back half of the book is taken up by an Amazing Spider-Man crossover, which is pretty much filler and nowhere near as interesting.
This entry was originally posted at http://redheadedfemme.dreamwidth.org/164
- Fri, 17:02: Heh. I bet before the election, Trump will hit ZERO percent approval among women. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Fri, 17:03: RT @kurteichenwald: I think that at the next presidential debate, Clinton should just play the new tape, sit down and wait for the election.
- Fri, 17:04: Heh. I bet before the election, Trump will hit ZERO percent approval among women. #inners #UniteBlue
- Fri, 17:07: Heh. @chrislhayes grins. "Tomorrow, Trump is scheduled to make his first campaign appearance with Paul Ryan." #inners #UniteBlue
- Fri, 17:12: RT @dbernstein: Meanwhile, in the world of decent people, President Obama signed the Sexual Assault Survivors’ Rights Act today.
- Fri, 17:34: RT @kurteichenwald: With the new Trump disgusto tape, think how quaint Romney's 47% tape now sounds.
- Fri, 17:35: If you defend this disgusting person, you are complicit. Stop it. https://t.co/1VsLBBbyDW
- Fri, 17:37: RT @LisaBloom: We know that men talk trash about us behind closed doors. We are always hoping for that one good man who stands up against i…
- Fri, 17:39: RT @billyeichner: All jokes aside, what Trump is describing is sexual assault and he is a vile, abusive monster. But we knew that already.
- Fri, 17:41: Abso-fucking-lutely. https://t.co/2TvE7J8wKr
- Thu, 18:15: Meet Me At the Gate https://t.co/8EBGnckc8r
- Thu, 18:15: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. https://t.co/5pW02neuNG
- Thu, 18:32: Meet Me At the Gate - This is the sequel to this year’s Hugo Award winner for Best Novel, The Fifth... https://t.co/RftIvjV0LO
- Fri, 12:56: Poem of the Day: Sherman Alexie - I’d like to be a fly on the wall at this powwow. The Powwow at the End... https://t.co/BmbdC2vZBf