- Thu, 14:04: "At the ballpark they call him [James Hansen] a really smart dude." Just so. #edshow #UniteBlue
- Thu, 14:07: It's just physically painful to watch these idiots unable to let a simple "yes" pass their lips. #edshow #UniteBlue
- Thu, 14:11: RT @Catlady628: I think I'm going with the scientist rather than the moron, @SenRonJohnson. #edshow
- Thu, 14:17: I'm sorry, Brian Schweitzer is useless as a commentator. "This is just one more pipeline" doesn't cut it. #edshow #UniteBlue
- Thu, 17:13: Fascinating discussion with Michael Goldfarb on @allinwithchris about Malaysian plane, but it still adds up to: We Know Nothing. #inners
- Thu, 17:19: And why, exactly, do Wall Street hustlers deserve $11 billion in bonuses again? #justasking #inners #UniteBlue
- Thu, 17:21: "The goal of people on Wall Street is to accumulate 'eff-you' money." Isn't this a sign of disordered thinking? #inners #UniteBlue
- Thu, 17:57: RT @EricShapiro3: Guns don't only kill people. They also keep them ignorant, paranoid and gullible. #uniteblue #tcot #gunsense
- Thu, 19:00: Yeah, I don't understand why people are jumping all over Jan Brewer's not running for reelection. She COULDN'T RUN ANYWAY.#maddow #UniteBlue
- Wed, 17:22: Thank you @PittDems for following!
- Wed, 17:35: This Malaysian airplane story sounds like "Lost" come to life. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 17:40: @BillOReilyTV "Abe Lincoln wouldn't have done it" because TV didn't exist back then! Idiot. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 17:48: Of course, @chrislhayes! It's the "inner city" of COLOR, you know. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:07: It's remarkable the amount of research that goes into @maddow's A-block. "Pitot tubes." Who would've thought of such a thing? #maddow
- Thu, 00:31: This week on twitter: 25 new followers, 11 new unfollowers and followed 22 people via http://t.co/jrDdEsOcDc
- Thu, 10:59: Hey #reiders! Hello! #UniteBlue
- Thu, 11:02: Another Paul Ryan non-apology apology. Bah. #reiders #UniteBlue
- Thu, 11:07: RT @LOLGOP: Paul Ryan would like to apologize for his inarticulate remarks that were prepared in advanced and reflect nearly every policy h…
- Thu, 11:08: If "playing the race card" means calling out insulting, idiotic remarks like Paul Ryan's, then progressives need to do it. #reiders
- Tue, 17:53: RT @goodsababu: Not 2 disparage "true believers," but believing something despite provable, indisputable facts countering it, is mental ill…
- Tue, 17:59: Thank you: @ohHenry7 @irise4u2c for following!
- Tue, 18:04: Oh, I know what @maddow is getting to with this. @ChrisChristie giving 9/11 wreckage to his cronies. Disgusting. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:44: Thank you @DemsAbroad @adrienne_72 @whitjones for following!
- Mon, 18:45: RT @patricia_linna: Richard Engel is a hottie, but he's smart as hell - that makes him sexy. #maddow
- Mon, 19:18: RT @sgtgoldflea: would #GOP RWNJ's approve of 2nd amendment rights being subjected to trap laws by like womens constitutional rights to abo…
- Mon, 19:21: Relevant Twitter question: would #GOP RWNJ's approve of 2nd amendment rights being subjected to trap laws by... http://t.co/dNyd0pxwZm
- Sat, 13:06: This is SeaWorld's worst nightmare -- Californians are saying enough to Orca captivity http://t.co/5AHxOM90ye
- Sat, 13:06: This is SeaWorld's worst nightmare -- Californians are saying enough to Orca captivity - http://t.co/c6aoByvdHO via: @sum_of_us
- Sat, 14:03: Thank you @AlbertDeAscenti @camhawke @RTED2016 @suzannah_mpls for following!
- Sat, 14:16: The more important question would be, "How many pro-choice Republicans have spoken at #CPAC?" #disrupters #uniteblue
- Sat, 14:22: Of course they're appealing to conservative voters! The Repub snake can't help but cannabalize its own tail. #CPAC #disrupters #UniteBlue
- Sat, 15:53: Hammer; Nail; Head http://t.co/6YR58pn6n0
- Sat, 15:53: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. http://t.co/Pj1Jr3dUMd
- Sat, 16:51: RT @GrandOldParody1: BREAKING: Rand Paul wins #CPAC2014 straw poll after some guy on Wikipedia wrote him a killer speech.
- Sat, 16:52: RT @WhiteLiberalism: I was stomping around all day in my hemp moccasins until somebody finally informed me that there's an international me…
- Sun, 10:34: To quote Battlestar Galactica: "This has all happened before, and it will all happen again." http://t.co/AZxbbMxLkz
Quoted For Truth, from this post.
There is no rational secular argument against abortion. In order to put one forward, you would have to argue that a foetus should be considered to possess superior personhood and a greater right to exist than that of the adult woman who is carrying it. That a non-conscious ball of cells is more a person than a woman with hopes, dreams and ambitions. You would need to assert that the right to bodily autonomy is not absolute, but is actually a limited right that is not afforded to women once they fall pregnant – that pregnant women are second class citizens who are to be denied any right to self determination. It would be nothing less than an argument for procreative slavery.
Without ridiculous religious claims of magical ‘ensoulment’ of foetuses that afford personhood in vitro – coupled with a refutation of the notion that no person can claim rights in the flesh of another, perhaps the most dangerous precedent imaginable – there is no possible moral or rational basis on which to argue that any of this is a good thing.
I'm not an atheist, but there are a number of good blogs at Freethought Blogs. Pharyngula is one of them.
This entry was originally posted at http://redheadedfemme.dreamwidth.org/154
- Thu, 18:43: Thank you @jdonald3rd @koryshrum @NC3DYD for following!
- Thu, 18:47: What is it with Republicans getting on a stage and waving a gun around? Aren't they afraid they'll shoot someone/themselves? #inners #CPAC
- Thu, 18:51: #CPAC Minority Outreach Panel: Empty room. Who would'a thunk it. #inners #UniteBlue
- Thu, 19:00: RT @POMPrincessMomJ: "@Jodzio: Despicable GOPutinplublicans http://t.co/SZ8AnbDi6U" #tcot #UniteBlue
- Thu, 19:00: GOP=Grumpy Old Putinpublicans. I can handle that. #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:22: @DarrellIssa is just a complete jackass, obsessed with bullshit. PLEASE vote his ass out. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:34: FASCINATING discussion on @allinwithchris about drugs. Kudos to @chrislhayes for having such a long conversation with Carl Hart. #inners
- Wed, 18:48: I love the Prez saying out loud that Repubs automatically oppose anything he proposes. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 19:10: Once again, restrictions/bans on abortion DO NOT stop it. It just injures and kills women. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Wed, 19:25: RT @PersephoneC: Welcome back to the back alley women. No, your lives don't matter to conservatives. #Maddow
- Wed, 19:54: I really like that @maddow has local reporters on her program. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Thu, 03:33: This week on twitter: 18 new followers, 15 new unfollowers and followed 9 people via http://t.co/jrDdEsOcDc
- Tue, 18:17: Ha! That's funny. @chrislhayes the SF nerd and teevee star! #inners #UniteBlue
- Tue, 18:18: Putin Envy"--obvious takeoff on Penis Envy. Perfect. #inners #UniteBlue
- Tue, 18:27: RT @GrandOldParody1: Reminder: The people who don't think Chris Christie is a bully don't think Vladimir Putin is a bully.
- Mon, 17:41: 4 of 5 stars to Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines http://t.co/hv8dL9msFN
- Mon, 18:03: Lindsay Graham: What the hell do you want to do? Nuke Moscow? #Ukraine #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:17: @allinwithchris Putin envy? Yuck. Who wants that? #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:45: Again, people: What do you expect President Obama to do? Fire up the ICBMs? #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 19:26: @maddow rightly points out that our condemning Putin for "invading another country on a trumped-up pretext" is awkward at best. #maddow
I came to this book in a somewhat bass-ackward way, reading the second book first (Codex Born) and then going back to this one. Truthfully, it didn't matter that much. I like the second book better, I think, because it delves deeper into Lena Greenwood's character and hers and Isaac's/Nidhi's relationship (admittedly I'm not an expert, but it seems a good, honest portrayal of a polyamorous relationship). Nevertheless, this book does a good job of setting up the complex world and characters, and establishing the complicated mythology and backstory.
One thing that struck me about this book is the hero, Isaac Vainio, is unabashedly a librarian, and unabashedly the hero. He's not a brawny, ripped Conan the Barbarian--he's an ordinary guy, more or less, who happens to wield an extraordinary magic, but he outthinks his opponents instead of outmuscling them. I love his outburst when he makes a major break in the case: "And that is why you don't kick the librarian off the investigation!"
This is a fun, unique series, and I look forward to the next book.
- Sun, 14:18: @Teenage_Liberal Thank you for following!
- Sun, 14:20: "Young black women aren't doing much better." Let's not forget them. #disrupters #UniteBlue
- Sun, 14:40: I rather like the QUILTBAG acronym. I wish it would catch on. @msnbcDisrupt #disrupters #UniteBlue
- Sun, 15:20: What is true persecution, and what isn't. http://t.co/zFBZOC2IYk
- Sun, 16:21: 3 new unfollowers and 6 new followers (hello! hello!) in the last week. Via http://t.co/Ef4yLaQrsO
- Sun, 19:16: That's nice. "Frozen" wins Best Animated Film. #Oscars #fb
- Sun, 19:17: RT @the_cgordon: “@RCdeWinter: That's telling 'em. http://t.co/YUqCyBlwPW” - oh HELLS yes.
- Sun, 19:22: There's Smaug! Damn good-looking dragon, even on the small screen. #Oscars #fb
- Sun, 19:25: RT @StillCrazy808: RT @poniewozik: "Didn't like this year's movies? Lots of these are available to rent!" --Theme of this Oscars, apparently
- Sun, 19:26: Bah. I hate tiny, feathery, wispy singing voices. Let's belt it out, people! #Oscars #fb
- Sat, 14:06: It's times like these that I thank [deity] that we have this cool, calm and collected character in the White House. #disrupters #uniteblue
- Sat, 14:33: "These measures [anti-gay laws re AZ] reflect fear of a changed reality." Also the last gasp of bigots who can't stop the tide. #disrupters
- Sat, 14:44: RT @howdyMO: “@sugaree71: No brainer, but if religion used to promote political goals, then tax exemption should be immediately ended. #dis…
- Wed, 17:11: The dominoes are falling. Texas ban on marriage equality ruled unconstitutional. http://t.co/cgHaMWKy7q via @Salon
- Wed, 17:13: The dominoes are falling. That's probably why the asshats in my state are trying to pass the odious SB1062,... http://t.co/Wv81wAkfcS
- Wed, 21:42: Yay! I don't particularly like Jan Brewer, but she did the right thing on this one. Thank you. #SB1062
- Thu, 11:01: This is a great article. I just wish they hadn't stuck a picture of George W. Bush on it. http://t.co/jggE4u3eMg
- Tue, 21:26: Governor Brewer, Veto SB1062! http://t.co/1tV2hdDVnk @moveon
- Wed, 08:53: That instant karma just bites you in the ass, doesn't it? http://t.co/P80JMaCf7c via @pinterest
- Wed, 10:01: RT @Lawsonbulk: Utah lawmaker proposes divorce barriers so women don't 'surprise' men http://t.co/H0IwTAoOEP
- Wed, 10:15: Thank you @markspellun @cdewayneharris @ObamaSuccess @WayneEdH @cindymdemambro @MRAS77 @GunNPocket @ReeceSalinas for following!
- Mon, 12:02: I'm watching @TheReidReport! Yay! #thereidreport #UniteBlue
- Mon, 12:12: @SenHutchinson It's not our oil, it's Canadian oil that would be shipped to the world market.We wouldn't get any use from it. #thereidreport
- Mon, 12:22: This is a really interesting discussion about military cutbacks. @TheReidReport #UniteBlue
- Mon, 12:25: Well! Isn't this interesting. Supremes turn away challenge to law restricting handguns to those under 21. http://t.co/MGAvcAft6y
- Mon, 12:29: #reiders I guess I've been spelling my hashtag wrong. :)
- Mon, 12:31: RT @AnneLewisChicag: Actual text of AZ SB1062:http://t.co/MhrsUbe203 WHO is going to decide what a "RELIGION" is? Maybe MY religion doesn't…
- Mon, 14:33: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. http://t.co/0cDAkNTFzv
- Mon, 14:50: Good news! http://t.co/qTcW1QINVr #fb
- Mon, 18:08: Thank you @slsdem @InformStats @Liberaloobav @Shadyflwrs @MyChildfreeLife for following!
- Mon, 18:10: There's no fracking sites in Arizona. We'll just dry up (drought) and alienate all the LGBT people instead, I guess. #inners #UniteBlue
Digby nails it.
My question to climate change deniers is this: what if you're wrong? The only thing that will happen if the world addresses climate change will be a somewhat orderly change in the way we use energy, some economic reorganization and a whole lot of jobs and business being done to switch to different energy sources. The changes that are being proposed to mitigate climate change are far less cataclysmic than the changes that would be imposed by unaddressed climate change itself. Therefore, a fairly simple risk assessment suggests that anyone with a brain should take the prudent course and assume that the consensus that climate change is man made is the correct one and take steps to deal with it before it's too late.
"What if," indeed.
- Sun, 14:04: @econjared points out that the obsession with the deficit and "austerity" is actually hurting the economy. #disrupters #UniteBlue
- Sun, 14:06: I've been thinking for a while that Repub fixation on debt/deficit is bullshit. The dollar is world's reserve currency. (1) #disrupters
- Sun, 14:07: Other countries aren't going to stop lending to us unless we basically cut our own throats (or Repubs cut them re: debt ceiling).#disrupters
- Sun, 14:10: Yes. And those 500k jobs might not be lost after all, once higher minimum wage starts revving the economy. Let's do it. #disrupters
- Sun, 14:22: "Well, boo fucking hoo. The poor widdle gun manufacturers had their fee-fees hurt…" — BB-Mystic http://t.co/b16gS4xMHf
- Sun, 14:33: I appreciate @finneyk's not INTERRUPTING her guests (unlike some Fake Noise hosts I won't name). #disrupters #UniteBlue
- Sun, 14:38: RT @LiberalSass: All pro-life people should realize that making abortion illegal has never stopped abortions from happening and never will.
- Sun, 14:40: RT @squeekyjo: @LKHamilton“@Equ4lityRising:#Arizona's special right to discriminate summarized in one cartoon#NOH8 @JohnWright1952 http://…
- Sun, 16:22: Followers - 27, Unfollowers - 13. I didn't know it'd be this simple. Get your weekly stats via http://t.co/u8xcajiNvs.
- Sun, 21:15: 4 of 5 stars to Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich http://t.co/4Smk7bkIqT
( Then vs. nowCollapse )
View all my reviews
- Sat, 12:47: This is absolutely embarrassing for our state. We need to stomp this nonsense into the desert sand. http://t.co/82sAjjORj6
- Sat, 12:47: Sign the petition: Tell @GovBrewer to veto pro-discrimination SB 1062 http://t.co/ldOeNbJ1Ih via @CREDOmobile #SB1062 #p2 #AZleg
- Sat, 14:00: RT @citizensrock: Lest we forget, it’s not just murderers of black kids who are on trial, but ALEC and NRA too, for quietly pushing racist …
- Sat, 14:03: "They were instructed to follow the law." Those jurors hadn't heard of jury nullification? http://t.co/7MUlQeRqGy #disrupters #uniteblue
- Sat, 14:47: Thank you @LiberalSass @ok_paulo_ok @larrymasonbiz @maritzasolito @UghSpareMe @MaxeyforTexas for following!
- Sat, 14:58: "Do they want to be on the record as taking health care away from 100K people?" They're Repubs.Of course they do!Takers, y'know. #disrupters
- Sat, 15:00: RT @RealDonalDrumpf: The great thing about the Bible is that you can use it to justify hating everybody, as long as you ignore the part abo…
- Sat, 19:32: What "persecution" is and isn't. http://t.co/M5rKnPbaWR
- Sat, 20:15: RT @kharyp: The Right to Discriminate Bill already cost Arizona 1,000 jobs. Tell Gov Brewer to veto SB106/HB2153 602-542-4331 http://t.co/…
- Sat, 20:23: RT @Hendems: Civilized Society is about not having to carry guns or weapons, because Society has Rule of Law. Guns = Anarchy http://t.co/5V…
- Thu, 19:21: And people think private companies can do everything better? Come on. #coalashspill #maddow #uniteblue
- Thu, 19:23: Thank you @MMBJackMcCarr @SoTurquoise for following!
- Thu, 19:30: PA just guaranteed if a woman performs a medication abortion and there are complications, the woman won't go to the hospital. #maddow
- Thu, 19:37: RT @50th_President: You notice how the same people who call Liberals "libtards" don't know the difference between weather and climate?
- Thu, 19:49: "New Jersey manufactures its own hyperbole in real life every day." Sounds like it would be exhausting to live there. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Thu, 19:49: RT @JamesEFinch: @UniteWomenMN @Margaretherapy Birth control helps stop abortion. Amazing how the Wrong Wing can't seem to get a handle on …
- Thu, 20:47: Wonderful long program from Mao Asada. Sometimes it's how you perform when you're down that shows true character. #Olympics2014 #fb
- Thu, 21:35: Carolina Kostner--That was just a great long program. I hope she get it. #Olympics2014 #fb
- Thu, 22:21: I think that was just about the best women's free skate I've ever seen. #Olympics2014 #fb