- Wed, 19:10: RT @deray: We are not conspiracy theorists. We have no need for theories. Our lived reality has confirmed the deep intentionality of white …
- Wed, 19:18: Man, this Swanson guy sounds like an absolute nutcase. If I saw him on the street, I'd run away. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Wed, 19:26: I don't know how Rachel can keep such an even keel when speaking about people who want to put her to death. I salute you, Rachel. #maddow
- Wed, 21:52: Sci-Fi and Fantasy from Paula Guran, George R.R. Martin, Neil Gaiman, and more! https://t.co/9RqsPU22Zl via @humblebooks
- Tue, 19:04: A police officer charged for shooting a 17-year-old black boy. I'll be damned. @LaquanMcDonald #maddow #UniteBlue
- Tue, 19:10: RT @speechboy71: And frankly every good police officer who defends bad cops has directly contributed to the loss of confidence in cops nati…
- Tue, 19:16: RT @Bipartisanism: The offer who murdered #LaquanMcDonald had 18 previous complaints filed against him. https://t.co/M4zZ3PXozY
- Tue, 20:09: RT @sarahkendzior: America, where we have imaginary videos of people cheering 9/11 and real videos of black people being murdered that bare…
- Tue, 20:12: And pray tell, why didn't those OTHER OFFICERS stop this murdering cop from firing into this boy? #LaquanMcDonald #lastword #unite
- Tue, 20:13: Y'all ever heard the saying, "The standard you walk past is the standard you accept?" #LaquanMcDonald #lastword #UniteBlue
- Tue, 20:14: Any officer who doesn't stop a colleague from executing someone is just as culpable. #LaquanMcDonald #lastword #UniteBlue
- Tue, 20:16: So-called "good cops": STOP THIS. If your partner starts shooting someone unjustifiably, STOP HIM OR HER. #LaquanMcDonald #UniteBlue
- Tue, 20:17: Otherwise, you as a "good cop" are just as much of a fucking murderer as the person who shot #LaquanMcDonald. #lastword #UniteBlue
- Tue, 20:20: RT @ChrisTuttle: So long as "good" police officers coverup & protect bad officers, there are no good officers. #LaquanMcDonald
- Fri, 18:07: Exactly right. https://t.co/MUDVThHGjb
- Fri, 18:11: RT @jeandunn52: GOP still whining about the media? Can't wait to see them take on ISIS. #inners
- Fri, 18:21: "I don't think Donald Trump's [Muslim rhetoric] is going to hurt him." This is the most frightening thing of all. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Fri, 20:25: This is the last word on the current fearmongering about Muslims. "This has been a bad week for the United... https://t.co/8O1aS5pqT7
- Fri, 21:10: Check out these awesome books I got from StoryBundle! https://t.co/QobmZN3dVd #StoryBundle
- Thu, 18:06: Gah. It really is disgusting, what Donald Trump and Ben Carson are saying about Muslims. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Thu, 18:19: RT @pagandancer: #inners The 3rd Reich would be so proud of how the US is turning Syrians refugess away.Replace Syria with Jewish.History i…
- Thu, 18:24: "If you want to radicalize people, leave them in a refugee camp." Damn straight. #inners #UniteBlue
- Thu, 18:25: RT @jonfavs: Terrorists attack France, France welcomes 30,000 who've also been terrorized. America, across an ocean, seals its borders. …
- Thu, 18:25: RT @juliacarriew: Attempts to stir up fascistic passions to win an election. It's enough to make you sick.
- Thu, 19:40: RT @NelsonMartyB: So a national registry of all #Muslims is ok, but a registry of #guns is a step towards tyranny? Can someone explain that…
- Wed, 18:01: Good heavens. @chrislhayes is broadcasting from Paris. @msnbc must value him, to send him that far. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:05: Since 9/11, it seems to me. Sometimes I think, as a country, we're suffering from collective PTSD. https://t.co/3AgW6pFK7K
- Wed, 18:11: "First they were worried about the press being too tough during debates, now they're worried about 3-year-old orphans." BOOM. #inners
- Wed, 18:12: Again: I am SO GLAD Barack Obama is our President, instead one of these hysterical Islamophobes. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:17: Damn straight. Stuff it, Governor Ducey. You should be ashamed. #Arizona https://t.co/eyoVG4beTF
- Wed, 18:33: RT @ChavezChavis: If that's the case then close down all Christian churches since most of the terrorist groups in the US (like the KKK) are…
- Wed, 18:46: There is no such thing as a "white race." Pale skin is a genetic mutation, nothing more. https://t.co/Lz4il8E1Pb
- Mon, 18:16: So...are we going to start bombing Europe now? https://t.co/PPbEdOuOis
- Mon, 18:19: I am so glad Barack Obama is our president at this moment. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Mon, 18:21: RT @anatosaurus: You are afraid of women, children and men with absolutely nothing but their clothes and their dreams. #SyrianRefugees
- Mon, 18:24: And the congressman ignores the question about evidence. #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:25: RT @TUSK81: "ALL LIVES MATTER" "Awesome, there's these Syrian refugees who need help--" "NOPE"
- Mon, 18:27: RT @TuxcedoCat: "Pausing Syria refugees" is just a RW talking point. It won't stop terrorism or help to stop ISIS in Iraq, Syria or Afghani…
- Mon, 18:39: RT @sethgs: BREAKING: Nation founded by people fleeing persecution turns away people fleeing persecution. #SyrianRefugees
- Mon, 18:40: Aw, crap. My state is refusing #SyrianRefugees. For shame, Arizona. For shame. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Mon, 18:42: RT @JonathanJewel: Imagine if Native Americans said no to the refugees running away from religious persecution #SyrianRefugees
- Tue, 08:43: Voted for "The Fifth Season" in the Final Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/PJpeKII5JD via @goodreads
- Sat, 19:02: How about that! Two female moderators. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:05: Heh. No gongs for the candidates to ignore, just an electronic stop sign. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:06: Bernie, I think tonight you'd better talk about a little more than your regular schtick. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:11: Unfortunately, and sadly, this is right in Hillary's wheelwatch. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:24: RT @DavidMcGuireEsq: Time for @MartinOMalley to bow out. Nice guy but he's out of his league. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:34: RT @AlanColmes: Here's how #DemDebate differs from #GOPDebate : no one insane
- Sat, 19:42: "I'm not too socialist compared to Eisenhower." Heh heh, Bernie. #Dem
- Sat, 19:50: What is this Republican framing on immigration? Come on. #DemDebate
- Sat, 19:59: RT @devbost: I really like that all three of them are fighting over who supports minimum wage hikes the most. #DemDebate
- Sat, 20:01: RT @RetroDish: The topics being addressed are because of Bernie. We wouldn't be talking about much of this if not for him. #demdebate #Deba…
What Scalzi said.
If you believe that every Muslim supports ISIS and groups like it, then you should also believe that all Christians support the Klu Klux Klan and the Westboro Baptist Church and Scott Lively. You should believe that all white people support actions like the Charleston Shooting. You should believe every man celebrates the anniversary of the École Polytechnique Massacre. And so on, across any group or affiliation you might be able to name.
If you don’t believe all of these things, but somehow manage to believe that more than a billion people are somehow sympathetic to, and responsible for the actions of, a cadre of murderous fundamentalists (“fundamentalist” in this case, as in so many cases with that term, not accurately representing the fundamentals of the religion it claims to represent), then the problem is you, not 1.2 billion Muslims.
My condolences to the families and loved ones of all the Paris victims.
- Wed, 18:01: Kee-ripes. Why do we need to make other countries "look like losers"? #BenCarson #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:02: Of course the Repub candidates love moderators that don't challenge them or call them out! #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:44: A handcuffed, shackled man poses a "danger." Bull. Fucking. Shit. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:50: Argh. Ben Carson's meaningless word salad makes no more sense now than it did last night. #inners #UniteBlue
- Wed, 18:51: RT @birdflyoverlake: Is it just me or do Democrats always seem to sound light-years more intelligent than republicans? Seriously. #inners
- Tue, 19:06: They need to do mic cuts for candidates going over their allotted time, but they won't. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:08: RT @JeremyDeeSelden: Donald Trumps answer for minimum wage: my father gave me a small loan of a million dollars to start, why doesn't yours?
- Tue, 19:09: Oh boy. Somebody fed Ben Carson a (probably false) statistic. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:12: "We need more welders and less philosophers." Marco Rubio, throwing out the vetted sound bites. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:14: Oh brother, we're back on this "balanced budget" kick. Gov't budget doesn't NEED to be balanced. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:17: "The Obama economy is a disaster"? In what universe? At one time, we were losing 800,000 jobs a month. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:19: Jeb! The deficit is NOT FREAKING GROWING! #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:23: Oh God. Carly Fiorina's "zero based budget" is the zombie that won't die. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 19:24: RT @rfickman: #GOPDebate-"I drink blood with a straw. We should eat poor people" https://t.co/XQmAcTKan3
- Tue, 19:25: RT @DavidOAtkins: Yep. Democrats and the Federal Reserve are totally the reason for income inequality. Words fail. #GOPDebate
- Tue, 06:09: Voted for "The Fifth Season" in the Semifinal Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/PJpeKII5JD via @goodreads
- Tue, 06:10: Voted for "Ancillary Mercy" in the Semifinal Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/77oLYyHFsc via @goodreads
- Tue, 06:10: Voted for "Uprooted" in the Semifinal Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/dPm9tyqh7C via @goodreads
- Tue, 06:11: Voted for "The Library at Mount Cha..." in the Semifinal Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/wkKf87Wbsu via @goodreads
- Mon, 18:02: I cannot understand why anybody would vote for Ben Carson. There's simply no "there" there. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Mon, 18:06: Ben Carson may have an inspirational personal story, but a Doctor never before elected does not a President make. #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Mon, 18:07: I mean, really. Can you imagine Ben Carson sitting across from Vladimir Putin at the negotiating table? *shudder* #UniteBlue #inners #fb
- Mon, 18:12: How can Ben Carson be 'different' when he doesn't know what the hell he's doing? #inners #UniteBlue #fb
- Mon, 18:18: Michael Steele says, "The substance [of the Repub campaign] must come into play at some point." You want to bet on that? #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 19:13: RT @goodsababu: Yes, folks, ppl gave their lives so assholes like this can spew hate & venom from a pulpit. "Rev" Swanson's a bit overwroug…
- Mon, 19:19: It's a wonder Rachel can discuss "Kill the Gays" in such an even-handed manner. It's HER LIFE they're talking about. #maddow #UniteBlue
My rating: 2 of 5 stars
On occasion, I've heard people say something about a book I never quite understood: "I'm glad I read this book, but I'll never read it again."
I didn't know what they meant, until now.
I don't even know if I'm glad I read this book. I liked it--sort of--and it held my interest, but I'm never going to reread it, and I won't pick up the sequel if there is one. That's not to knock the writer; his prose is good, his book is well paced, and the characters are well drawn. I guess I just don't care to read about the struggles of a family of sociopathic gods, and a plot that is laden with guts and gore and roasting people alive.
The main character, Carolyn, is indeed a sociopath; the author knows it, the reader knows it, and the character certainly knows it. Carolyn, along with eleven other children, are taken in by a sixty-thousand-year-old deity made flesh from the "Third Age," who is searching for his successor. "Father" needs someone to watch over his Library, which is the supernatural, extradimensional font of all knowledge. To choose his successor, Father subjects all the children to terrible things. This backstory makes clear why Carolyn is the way she is, and I suppose I can't blame her; but again, this is another reason why I don't want to read any more about her.
This is the story of the struggle between the children, and other deities from Father's past, and how Carolyn ascends to the position of Librarian, in charge of Father's Library and apparently our universe. The book's ending leaves the plot open for a sequel.
"So...you said 'they're coming.' Who's 'they'?"
"I'm not completely sure yet. My Father had enemies. Some of them are my enemies now, too. They've begun to move against me."
"Dangerous folks? Dangerous like you, I mean."
"Some of them, yeah."
"Don't worry," Carolyn said. "I have a plan."
I'm sure she does, but I won't be reading it.
View all my reviews
- Tue, 18:12: "A covey of talented candidates"? What alternate universe is this joker looking at? #inners #UniteBlue
- Tue, 18:35: Voted for "Uprooted" in the Opening Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/dPm9tyqh7C via @goodreads
- Tue, 18:36: "Uprooted" is one of the best books of the year. https://t.co/QFrgjL1OML
- Tue, 18:36: Voted for "The Fifth Season" in the Opening Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/PJpeKII5JD via @goodreads
- Tue, 18:37: "The Fifth Season" is dark and brutal and gorgeous. https://t.co/vh0lfwrlI3
- Tue, 18:38: Voted for "Ancillary Mercy" in the Opening Round of the 2015 #GoodreadsChoice Awards https://t.co/77oLYyHFsc via @goodreads
- Tue, 18:38: Ann Leckie wraps her series up wonderfully. https://t.co/pMsIlrSYX9
- Tue, 19:18: No. You can say a lot of things about Chris Christie, but I think his weight should be absolutely off limits. https://t.co/4ljYxnKQ8e
- Mon, 18:06: "A Republican primary moderated by Republicans?" Well, it certainly would show how far out in la-la land Repubs are. #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:07: On the other hand, what little pushback against Republican lies that exists now would go away completely. #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:09: RT @ahuntre: This is a very, very bad idea. With only Cons as moderators, it's all nice, nice. No challenges. #inners
- Mon, 18:13: RT @politicalglutto: Yes, Liberals like "free stuff". Free speech, free media, free flowing debate, freedom of thought, freedom of choice, …
- Mon, 18:20: Krugthulu! #inners #UniteBlue
- Mon, 18:27: "Experiments don't count if they produce the wrong results." Indeed. #inners #UniteBlue
- Sun, 14:00: 3 of 5 stars to The Book of Phoenix by Nnedi Okorafor https://t.co/daEtyJwVXT
- Sun, 14:19: The Book of Phoenix https://t.co/zR0j32bcib
- Sun, 14:45: I just bought: 'Rise: A Newsflesh Collection' by Mira Grant via @amazon https://t.co/7Ml46WWZEk
- Sun, 15:19: posted a new entry to 'redheadedfemme' at LiveJournal. https://t.co/UN4I0L2A65
My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This book is weird, messy and complicated. It's billed as a science fiction story, and it certainly is that; the titular main character, Phoenix Okore, is a genetically engineered being, after all. In this future, climate change has advanced to the point that Manhattan Island is partially under water. There's a two-mile-high tree growing out of what's left of Manhattan that was generated by an alien seed. Phoenix is essentially a superhero, a living bomb (with wings!) who can blow herself up, burn herself and everything around her to ash, and regenerate from those same ashes. She does this several times through the course of the story, and the final occasion supposedly brings about the downfall of civilization.
It should be just the kind of book I like, and I did finish it...but I just didn't warm to it. As a protagonist, Phoenix is nicely drawn, as are the supporting characters, and Nnedi Okorafor's prose style is smooth and unobtrusive. I think the basic setup is what spoils the story for me; the suspension of disbelief is stretched just a little too far to accept everything thrown at me, especially when there's another character who sounds like some kind of mystical Obi-Wan sage who can literally walk through solid matter.
Having said that, the framing story, set two hundred years later after Phoenix's apocalypse when an old storyteller in Africa discovers a cache of computers and a chip with Phoenix's story recorded as an oral history, is pretty impressive. In many ways it's the best part of the novel. The exploration of African customs and the power of myth almost carry the day, and certainly elevate the story higher than I might have rated it otherwise.
I'm glad I read it, but unfortunately, I can't mark it down as one of the best books of the year.
View all my reviews
- Fri, 18:59: Apparently the Republican candidates are turning into good little "Liberal Bias" automatons. #maddow #UniteBlue
- Sat, 10:36: Chad Brown just said of his winning filly, "If she's healthy, she'll run next year." #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:36: It's so unfortunate that American Pharaoh and Liam's Map won't. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:37: I understand horse racing is a business. But I can't understand why people don't run their champions at 4, nevertheless. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:38: I mean, even to have an American Pharaoh to begin with, you have to be rich. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:39: That being the case, what would it matter if you ran him another year?You'd still get the stud fees, just not one year of them. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:41: And the sport would benefit SO MUCH MORE from having an American Pharaoh around for another year. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:42: You know why I loved Zenyatta so much? Because we got to see her as long as we did. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 10:45: If a horse in unsound/injured, of course retire him. If not, keep him running, stud fees or no stud fees. That's what I'd do. #BreedersCup
- Sat, 11:01: Good Lord. Richie Sambora? He sounds a bit tipsy, I think. #BreedersCup
- Thu, 17:03: Oh, I knew it. What does @msnbc expect, cancelling all the good shows and putting on Chuckster the Huckster? https://t.co/ZbuIkvbEpw
- Thu, 17:06: Yay! Charlie! Nobody's better at articulating the Repubs' "prion disease." #inners #UniteBlue
- Thu, 17:06: RT @ConnieFoggles: Republicans are big whiners. Did Democrats complain after their debate? A big restounding NO #inners
- Thu, 17:07: RT @birdflyoverlake: Good God, what a bunch of cry babies! #inners #GOPDebate
- Thu, 17:34: And the person on the right is far more scary. https://t.co/m9R7rgfIds